Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"Fate Fixed" by Bonnie Wheeler

Fate Fixed (The Erris Coven Series, #1)

I received this book to review from the R2R event organized by Kayleigh on the Paranormal and Urban Fantasy Club. It was a quick light read with a nice twist at the end (that I should say I didn't see coming). But, it was too much Twilight, and that kind of buried it for me from the beginning.

It was obvious that the author put some time writing and editing this novel, but it still needs to be improved. The writing was immature with lots of unnecessary repetitions of proper nouns and expressions. There were a ton of grammar mistakes that I won't be pointing out. At some places the tenses were mixed up incorrectly - past when it should've been present and vice versa.

There were also a couple of inconsistencies with the story. I was annoyed by the simple sentence constructions, which felt like a plague for this book. It could've been written in a much much better way, with intricate constructions of the descriptions and narration. As it were, most paragraphs felt like I was reading the script of an Animal Planet film, aka in a monotonous boring drone.

The literary side of the writing was missing, which was a huge minus to me. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, I did, but it had nothing to do with my feelings toward a brilliant book that would stir the very cells of my body. This one just read to pass time. In other words - nothing special about it.

I did get annoyed by the quick development of Lexie and Torin's romantic relationship. Firstly, the characters themselves felt shallow and underdeveloped, and secondly - they were kissing just after exchanging a couple of words. If that's not rushed, I don't know what is. Perhaps the fact that they didn't know each other almost at all before they were bonded? Even if the two were fated to be together, this relationship should've been given the time to develop before either of them could trust the other fully. I do believe in love at first sight, but this wasn't it. This was a foolish way to put the characters together.

I can't say that Torin was swoon worthy, because I didn't get to know him well enough to make such a conclusion. Nor can I point out Lexie as a fighter, because she didn't really hold her ground.

With all that said, I think that the story has potential to become much better if the author decided to put some time revising.


My rating is:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here...