Monday, December 19, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Alright, so with all the fuss around this series, I thought I'd check it out. I've been holding it off because I read one review of a parent on the Book Depository that it was full of violence and she didn't want her kids to read it.

But, since so many people say they love it and rate it with 5 stars, I felt compelled to check it out. Sadly, it didn't meet my expectations. To be honest, I expected something of the class of Cassandra Clare's books. I thought the Hunger Games would be just that amazing if not more. But to me, they weren't. And I'm honestly sorry to say this, because I know exactly how much effort it takes to write a book.

The story kind of lost me from the very beginning because of the extensive descriptions. Honestly, there were like a total of 15 conversations throughout the entire novel, and most of them didn't include more than 3 lines of each character. This is sad, because I hate to be told what a person is like. I want to be shown. And I am not.

I desperately wanted to like Peetah, but I just didn't find it in me. Yeah, we're told he's nice and in love and treated badly by his mom, but that's about it. It feels so shallow to me, no wonder Katniss never noticed his feelings, or believed them afterwards.

Katniss felt more real, since she was the protagonist and we were in her head the whole time, but the lack of communication just killed it for me.

The one character I feel like I might like is Gale, who we only see twice in this book. I suppose he'll show up in the next one more, but I just don't have the patience or time to read all those boring and overwhelming descriptions.

I must say that I loved Haymitch, he seemed like the only real character in this entire book. He felt sick with what he had to do, and the only way he found out of it was because he was drinking himself to unconsciousness.
Oh, and I can't forget little Rue. I kept thinking about her and how innocent and sweet she was, and the way she gave her complete trust to Katniss even though they didn't really know each other.

I know many people won't agree with me, and I respect their opinion. I can only hope for the same.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here...