Friday, March 29, 2013

"Gravity" by Melissa West

Gravity (The Taking, #1)
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't gotten to reviewing Gravity in like 3 months or something. Life's just busy nowadays. Whew!

Anyways, I'm excited to say that Gravity didn't lack almost anything. Some places sounded too overdone however, and were a bit like other dystopian books I've read before, hence the 4 stars. Still, the story was mostly original - especially since it had to do with aliens and human/alien relations. I'd never experienced another book like this one, where the aliens were exposed and beneficial to the community.

It was, least to say, different. In a good, refreshing way.

It was a bit predictable though, so that's sort of going towards the negative. But, I liked the writing style and the action. I didn't necessarily approve of the aliens' means of accomplishing peace. Or of the humans' means of keeping the aliens out. But, you know, you gotta have a story, and a conflict, so yeah.

The romance side of the story was nothing new. There was the supposed love triangle, which wasn't really a triangle at all. There was the deception, the mistrust, the doubt, followed closely by forgiveness, finding each other and so forth. It was cute really, in an end-of-the-world sort of way.

A positive thing was that all the characters had a depth and their own unique voice. And most importantly, they had opinions and experiences and didn't hesitate to act upon the former, based on the latter.

I believe that if you enjoy dystopian stories, you'd definitely fall in love with this one. Have fun!

My rating is

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here...