Saturday, January 26, 2013

"Touch of Frost" by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)

This is one of those books with a huge fan club, which I end up being disappointed with. Seriously, I can't understand what all the commotion is about.

Firstly, the main character being a gypsy sort of bothered me. That's because everyone has this incredibly romantic understanding of gypsies, which is soooo untrue. Maybe it was true in the middle ages or something. But today... let me say that it's as far from the truth as the Earth is from the Sun. Perhaps that's fine because this is a work of fiction and you know, it's written so it would be likeable. But I just couldn't like it.

Secondly, I love books with lots of dialogue in them and action. Here we have a bunch of back story, narration and blah-blah stuff that I could very easily just skip over and not miss anything interesting or important. That is a huge minus in my eyes, because I like it when a book entices me so much that I get hungry for EACH AND EVERY word on the page. Touch of Frost was not like that. I got very easily distracted from it, and found myself thinking of anything else but the story.

Thirdly, the main character, Gwen, didn't touch me in any way. I was rather bored and unimpressed with her. She was just another girl, nothing special about her. Until we learned that indeed she was supposed to be very special in the story (but I didn't feel like she was). I can't even remember a single thing about her that made her any different than the regular Mythos population.

Logan was this spartan boy who had to get me all crazy about him. But all he managed to do was get bored. He was supposed to be the bad boy of the story, kick-butt and you know. The man. But for some reason he didn't make my heart flutter, or my imagination go wild, or anything at all.

So, I don't think I should continue with this series. It's obvious that it isn't doing it for me.


My rating is

1 comment:

  1. Huh, I keep hearing great stuff about this one, though I'm not really interested in reading it. Sorry you were disappointed, Vanya!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment here...