Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Covet" by Melissa Darnell

Covet (The Clann, #2)
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley.

Okay, so I thought that I wouldn't be able to understand whatever happened in the book because I haven't read the prequel. Well, I must say that the author made a pretty good (and sometimes even too much) of a reference to the first book, that I felt like I'd already read it. Still, there were lots of times when I felt like I was missing in on the development of the characters' relationship. I mean, I started off with them already being together and all, and I really love the whole process of the "getting together". In that aspect, I believe one should ALWAYS start a series from book one. Duh.

Anyways, I think that the book was okay on average. It couldn've definitely be shorter. There were large ranges of pages where nothing interesting happened. There was just a constant droning from the POV characters, and that got me irritated and bored. I was flipping through those pages pretty quick, only skimming to see if I had missed anything important. Which I had not.

The rest of it was good. Not I-can't-tear-my-eyes-off-the-page good, but still good enough to finish the book. I honestly wish that it was 250 pages instead of 400+, but hey, who am I to say how long a book should be?

Umm, the characters... I honestly believe that both Savannah and Tristan can be improved. Sometimes their dialogues sounded pretty lame and incoherent, or inconsequential. The way they spoke to each other and the rest of the characters didn't seem realistic for teenagers. I wasn't particularly impressed with either of them. Savannah's dad sounded like he had only lived in the past. Sure, he was a centuries old vamp, but hey, don't those creatures adapt to the present times? Won't they attract too much attention if they speak like they're from Shakespeare's age?

Perhaps I'm a bit biased because this is a vamp book and I'm not really into those. But even a non-fan can realize when a book is brilliant and when it's just average. In my opinion, Covet was a pretty average book.


My rating is

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here...