Monday, January 23, 2012

"Obsidian" by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Well, under the pressure of several friends, I finally got a hold of this novel and read it. And I was so consumed by it, I couldn't stop reading until I was finished with it. I loved the characters, the story, the passion. In short: I loved everything about it.

To be honest though, the GoodReads synopsis kind of ruined some of the fun. Why on earth would anyone say what kind of a monster Daemon is????? I truly felt pissed at one point, because I did want to figure it out by myself. Instead, I'd already read the summary. And that's so not fair!!!!!!

But even so, I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. Major fun. Truly. As in, forget about your real life and come live in Katy's kind of thing. It was a worthy adventure and I sure can't wait for the next installment to come out. And since that's not happening until May, the novella (from Daemon's brother's point of view) is coming out just a month from now! Isn't that awesome??? Time might need to speed up a teeny tiny bit.

Here's my summary, in case you don't want to have the original one spoil the fun for you:

When Katy's mom finally decides that it's time to move on and away from their home in Gainesville, Florida, Katy feels that life can't get any worse. But that's called dreaming. Because out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere little town Ketterman is as country as they go, and excitement is the last thing that could possible happen in that place.

Not that Katy has any friends that she'd miss, she's more of a book and blog-worm, and is pretty content with reading and maintaining the plant life in their front yard. But who wants to be the new person in such a small community? Answer is: no one.

With all good intentions, Katy's mom nudges her to make friends with the neighboring teens - a boy and a girl at Katy's age. When Katy finally braves the several yards to the house next door, the last thing she expects to see is a naked chest, perfectly sculpted and ... tempting. But even the hottest body and the most perfect face cannot excuse the raining insults that spill out of the boy (Daemon)'s mouth.

From that moment on, it's obvious that the two of them - Katy and Daemon - will be at a constant verbal war. But who says that's a bad thing? The bad thing comes along when Katy is attacked by a stranger, and somehow Daemon saves her. And that's when the real adventure begins.

Because Daemon is as far away from a human as they go. Or perhaps further. And despite his usual moodiness, he's somehow managed to get under Katy's skin. The question is: would he manage to stay there?

My most favorite quotes are:
One:
She grinned as she stood. "He's a hottie."
A tiny piece of egg caught in my throat. It was seriously gross to hear Mom talking about boys my age. "Hottie? Mom, that's just weird."
Mom pushed off from the counter, picked up her plate from the table, and headed to the sink. "Honey, I might be old, but my eyes are still working fine. And they were really working earlier."

Two:
His gaze lingered on my face, and warmth blossomed in my belly. "Maybe I'm just curious why she is so enamored. Dee doesn't take well to strangers. None of us do."
"I had a dog once that didn't take well to strangers."

Three:
His chest seemed to... hum under my hands. "Have you ever seen a bear?"
Dread pushed through my calm and blossomed. "What? There's a bear - ?" I pulled out of his grasp and spun around.
Oh, yeah, there was a bear.

*** No more sexy quotes for you. Go read the book! LOL

My rating is (if you haven't already guessed, that is)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I loved this book, gave it 5/5 as well on my review!
    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally, I don't like to read about aliens. I'm not that interested in them, and I can't help but think of some slimy, nasty creature when I think about them. But Jennifer actually managed to make them HOT in this book. And I mean like, really, really hot. Daemon is about as far as you can get from gross. In the end, I'm SO glad I read this book, as it's become an all-time favorite of mine. If you enjoy books with romance, sizzling sexual tension, humor, and awesome characters, you need to check out Obsidian.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment here...